The residence halls close for the winter holiday break on Sunday, December 17 at 12:00 p.m.
No resident is permitted access to residential facilities during Winter Break unless they have been given written permission from the Housing and Residence Life office. The residence halls will re-open in January. Electronic residence hall access will be shut off and residents will not be permitted to enter their residence hall or access their room before their designated move-in date and time in January.
Students who have significant extenuating circumstances preventing them from departing during the winter break should complete the winter break housing application by December 1, 2023. Housing and Residence Life will review and handle these requests on a case-by-case basis.
Tulane University Housing and Residence Life requires students living on-campus to request approval to stay in university housing during Winter Break. Students not approved for Winter Break Housing or students who do not request Winter Break Housing must leave campus by 12:00 p.m. on Sunday, December 17, 2023, and may not return until on-campus housing reopens for Spring 2024 on January 17, 2024.
To request approval to stay on campus for any part of Winter Break, you must complete the Winter Break Housing Request Form in the Housing Portal which opens on Wednesday, November 15, 2023 and closes on December 1, 2023. Completing this form does not guarantee approval; you will receive an e-mail from Housing and Residence Life with your status. Students participating in Panhellenic Recruitment or who are approved to return early for Spring 2024 due to another Housing and Residence Life approved campus activity do NOT need to complete a Winter Break Housing request via the Housing Portal.
Students approved for Winter Break Housing may be required to relocate to a different Winter Break housing room. Students may be required to relocate during the winter break and will be given instructions to do so. Students not able to relocate on these timelines will be ineligible for Winter Break Housing.
Each student who wishes to reside on-campus during Winter Break must individually apply for Winter Break Housing. Only the student(s) approved for Winter Break Housing may reside on-campus during the Winter Break time period. Students who are approved to stay on campus for any amount of time over Winter Break will be billed a flat rate of $400. This flat rate will not be prorated for students who do not stay on-campus for the entirety of the Winter Break time period. Students will see the charge for Winter Break housing in early January.
For more information regarding the timeline for Spring 2024 opening dates and return to campus after Winter Break, please visit the Housing and Residence Life Spring Move-In page.
Please complete the items on this checklist before you leave for winter break. Please pay extra attention to the information about checking out of the residence halls at the end of this section. All students must formally check out of the residence halls before leaving for winter break.
- Unplug all appliances except fridges, clean fridge and remove all food.
- Throw away all trash in the dumpster closest to your building.
- Close and lock all windows.
- Raise your blinds all the way.
- Turn off all lights.
- Turn off all faucets and showers.
- Make sure any shared spaces are clean and free of trash.
- Remove all personal belongings from community and suite bathrooms so they can be cleaned over winter break.
- Make sure your heating & cooling unit is turned ON and set to 72 degrees.
- Any empty bed spaces in your room should be clean and free of personal belongings so another resident can move-in.
- Close and lock your door when you leave.
Check out of the residence halls
All students must formally check out of the residence halls at the end of the fall semester. Students returning to their same room must complete the Self-Checkout form in the Housing Portal which will be available on December 8, 2023. Students not returning to their same room or leaving permanently must complete an Express Checkout at the Housing & Residence Life Office.
Students should check out just before they leave campus as the last thing they do before they leave, as checking out will result in a loss of building access.
Students who are not returning to the residence halls must complete to following steps before leaving for winter break:
- Complete the Housing Agreement Release Request Form as soon as you know you will not be returning to the residence halls for the spring semester.
- Notify USS if you need to cancel water service. Water service equipment should be left inside the room for pickup after finals week.
- Before you leave campus complete an Express Checkout envelope at the Housing & Residence Life office and follow all check-out instructions provided via email.
Students who are changing rooms must complete the following steps before leaving for winter break:
- Remove all items from your Fall 2023 semester room assignment.
- Complete an Express Checkout envelope at the Housing & Residence Life office and follow all check-out instructions provided via email.